Based in sunny San Diego, CA
I graduated from the University of California, San Diego, with a BS in Cognitive Science specializing in Human-Computer Interaction. To put it simply, I studied Interaction Design.
I currently contract at Seamgen as a User Experience Lead in which I work closely with clients to provide screen designs for their websites. Previously, I worked at Pacific Science & Engineering as an Interaction Designer, designing interfaces for military and intel communities. In the projects I take on, I strive to find solutions to real-world problems and create meaningful relationships between people and the products they use, as well as bring a little fun into the mix!
Asking questions and exploring the scope and requirements of the project. Who are the users, and what problem are we trying to solve?
Looking at examples on Dribbble, Pinterest, or Behance and doing a competitive analysis on similar projects.
Identifying the users’ goals by distinguishing triggers, desired outcomes, required and base knowledge, and artifacts they use to help frame the problem and improve their experience.
Taking it back old school - with blank sheets of paper and a sharpie. This allows me to quickly think through ideas and get a general sense of what I want the design to look.
Now the sketches are transformed into grayscale wireframes so that we can iron out kinks in the flow and functionality before worrying about the look and feel.
Testing should be done early and often. It should be constant and iterative! Sometimes I’ll create paper prototypes just to validate an idea, then turn it into a wireframe.
The look and feel is now applied. I then use either Axure or Invision to create a prototype showcasing the interactions and ensuring it flows smoothly.
This can range anywhere from creating presentations, using Invision, attaching mockups to JIRA, creating animations in After Effects, or writing specs.
Good design is never done. As a designer, I have to stay one step ahead of the game and continuously make sure the communication between the user and technology is easy to understand. This means that I am constantly testing and improving the product.
May 2018 - Present
UX Lead creating prototypes and dev-ready designs based on usability principles
• Worked closely with clients to produce screens for their websites and products
• Constructed estimates workflow and designed high-fidelity mockups for internal project and task management tool
June 2016 - May 2018
IxD lead designer working with human factors engineers & cognitive scientists to provide user interfaces for military and intel communities
• Collaborated with users, stakeholders and developers to deliver user-centered interface for controlling multiple UxVs
• Created consistent style guides using Sketch across multiple projects
• Designed an interactive prototype through an iterative process for anomaly management to support an experiment on situation awareness
September 2014 - June 2016
IxD junior designer providing interactions and mockups for a health incentive program and creating motion graphics for informational videos
• Mocked up client sites with Photoshop for front-end developers to reference in an Agile UX environment
• Storyboarded and produced visual design and motion graphics for health videos in Adobe Captive and After Effects
• Designed UI interactions for new internal system site assisting program managers with client customizations and showcased animations in AE